Always Be Attributing

An endless theme in the CogDogBlog House, promoting the radical, all so time consuming habit (invisible sarcasm tags here) of giving other people attribution for what they share. Eight years ago I hoped I had coined linktribution.

Never caught on.

But since I’m on a flickr roll as it seems from the confusion of licensing of flickr photos, finding images is one skill, attribution another.

LEGO Astronaut
cc licensed ( BY-NC-ND ) flickr photo shared by Kevin Baird

But I did come across via twitter (oi am going to lapse in finding the tweet to linktribute, am I failing to eat my own dogfood?) (it could have been anyone listed) (demonstrating my own failure in public) (got parentheses?) — Photos for Class.

It’s a site that is shimmers, a dessert and a floor wax- helps you search for creative commons licensed flickr photos (appropriate for students and teachers), but it also provides a download to a copy of the image that has directly in the image a proper attribution.

But you get more than just web links here at CogDogBlog (you get free typos too). I give all things I mention a test drive. So I aimed to see if I could find my own photos at Photos for Class, so I searched for my home town of Strawberry Arizona.

What’s interesting is that a number of these images are not of Strawberry or strawberries or Arizona- there are a lot of red dominated images. I’ve got a hunch the site is using some visual searching, and finding photos dominated by similar colors of a strawberry?

strawberry-az-search

I recognized a series of ones in the middle that were mine. I like that they link back to the original in flickr, like the one I took of the top of a post that had rusty staples holding down thick wires. This is how I would normally use my own flickr cc attribution helper to cite the image in a web page:

Firmly Attached
cc licensed ( BY-SA ) flickr photo shared by cogdogblog

And this is the image that Photos for Class generates for me (thumbs up that they use as an idenitifier/file name the flickr id):

Same photo with attribution text added via Photos For Class

Both are “proper” (and much better than none) and I definitely see a lot of value for teachers to use one site that does both the finding and stamping the attribution text in the image. I would not even try suggesting that it would be a good idea for Yahoo to bake attribution into their platform. It is obviously too complex a technical task for them to pull off.

It matters not how you attribute, it matters that you attribute.

I give a two paws up rating for Photos For Class. This was also a good nudge to update my flickr image search resources at 50 Web Ways to Tell a Story; two sites were not even working, and I added 4 more tools.

What’s in your attribution method?

About cogdog

I bark about and play with technology and web stuff. Harmless. I have my shots.